Craig and Mark

You're probably right about "To CLPA or not to CLPA."

It may be my approach to CLPA when I ran my test systems which caused me to
find support in that recommendation when no support was really meant to be
there.

Running my test systems involved frequent IPLing. The systems ran under VM
and so IPLing of often 5 and sometimes 8 systems could be a slow process. I
had quite a range of products featuring in the LPA list. Thus I was happy to
have a stable LPA and eschewed CLPA as much as possible.

I can see that the point Mark made about very infrequent IPL, perhaps often
prompted just because LPA needed rebuilding, is the very opposite of my view
of an MVS environment.

I think actually that the recommendation is actually quite the opposite of
what my distorted lens found. The suggestion probably assumes that you
always start with CLPA but wants to say that you might like to consider
having at least one IEASYSxx member which doesn't specify CLPA just in case,
on a bad day, you don't happen to be able to read the data sets with the
modules to be loaded into LPA and you need to get going - as you probably
would, rather urgently, so that you could sort out what had happened to the
missing data sets.

Chris Mason