On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:25:48 -0500, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >             But still, I would have preferred from the beginning a
> >construct meaning "Field to be Filled in Later", so a zero, possibly
> >an expression value, could be flagged as an error.
>
> As I recall, SAP, FAP and MAP all had such a construct.

IIRC, it was "**".  The custom with assemblers not providing an explicit
token became "*-*".

But FORTRAN II had the technique (now deprecated as self-modifying code)
of initializing subroutines by modifying addresses in instructions (the
displacement range was an entire address space, and there were no base
registers).  Perhaps BAL and successors eschewed the construct as now
needless, overlooking its application in EX.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL