From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of John Kington
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:26 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Dynamically obtaining allocated space characteristics

You can tell the secondary allocation amount from the DSCB but the primary
is not
kept in the DSCB for nonvsam datasets. Only the size of the first extent is
kept.
If you have the SMF type 15 record, a portion of the JFCB is imbedded in
the
record. Somewhere around offset 220 is the primary amount in three byte
binary followed by one byte binary for space type and then a three byte
binary
field with the secondary amount. This would not help if the dataset is
never
opened. In that case, the amount of space allocated would be the primary
amount and you can see the secondary amount in the DSCB.

I have CA-Allocate (VAM) available to me. If you have that product or a
similar
product, you should be able to look for the program, ddname, jobname or
whatever
and generate a wto message with the primary amount, secondary amount and
space allocation type. This would be the easiest and surest method.

Regards,
John