First, thanks all the people that try to help me

My problem is not with the SORT function. Really is with the MERGE
function. I will try to explain it

I have two SMF files, F1 and F2

a)      If i merge F1 and F2 with IFASMFDP, it works correctly

b)      If i sort F1 with SPANINC=RC16 default, it works correctly

c)      If i sort F2 with SPANINC=RC16 default, it works correctly

d)      If i merge F1 and F2 with SPANINC=RC16 default, it shows ICE204A 2
INCOMPLETE SPANNED RECORD DETECTED ON <xxxxxxx> - > RC=16

Frank, when you answer me about this

Antonio wrote
> Like we can see, in the place were in theory we must find the SYSIN
> dd statement, we found spaces (Some idea about this???)
Frank wrote
>I don't understand what you mean by this. Please explain in more detail.

I mean where SYSIN DD name must appear (see <xxxxxxx> in the message), i
receive spaces. I think are the same kind of invalid characters that Gary
receive in his ICE output

e)      If i merge F1 and F2 with SPANINC=RC4 or RC0, it shows ICE141A 2
SPANNED RECORD ON <xxxxxxxx> COULD NOT BE ASSEMBLED (<xxxxxxx> are spaces)

Like we can see, MERGE function detects some invalid records that SORT
function doesn’t detects. Why? (Frank, i will send you the //SYSOUT
messages if you want to see them)

Nowadays we are using IFASMFDP to merge F1 and F2 without problems, but we
need to merge it in a different sort sequence.

I don’t still try the VBSFIX solution (thanks John), but i prefer to solve
the problem with SORT vs MERGE with spanned records first, and if VBSFIX
is unsupported, i don’t know if it will be the best way for the future...

A last doubt for Radoslaw: When you says “Eliminate SMF record flood”.
What do you mean? Really we want to merge F1 and F2 to have one SMF montly
file to have some reports sorted in a especial sequence

To sum up, somebody knows why MERGE fuction detects invalid records that
SORT function?

Thanks a lot
Antonio