On Wednesday, 11/15/2006 at 12:55 EST, Bruce Black
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Now, getting the Dungeon Ma...oops!  Duty Manager out of bed at 3am is
> > entertaining, but not suggested unless you have a Sev1 that's missing
its
> > criteria!
> Alan, as an IBMer you would probably know this better than I, but
> doesn't "duty manager" imply that they are on-duty, not just "on-call"
> and maybe asleep?

I'll answer for him.  He's busy.  No, it just means that there is a
designated manager who is responsible to take your call if you ask to
speak to the "Duty Manager" (that's d-u-t-y, not d-o-o-d-y; don't get them
confused...very different...well, maybe not so much....)  What they were
doing 20 minutes prior to returning your phone call at 3am is their own
business (in NY anyway).  Rule #3: Never ask a question you don't want the
answer to.

But if they keep yawning, please be patient and understanding.  Being
presented with a low-core memory overlay after being rudely awakened from
a pleasant nap on the beach, only to find it's still dark, it's January,
and it's -15 F, can be somewhat disorienting.  It will, of course, turn
out to be a Hardware Problem, but we go still through the motions.  If it
weren't for the h/w, there wouldn't be s/w errors, now would there? Hmmmm?

-- Chuckie