From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Thompson, Steve (SCI TW)
Sent: Tuesday December 12 2006 14:19
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM sues maker of Intel-based Mainframe clones

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Jeffrey D. Smith
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 3:46 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM sues maker of Intel-based Mainframe clones <SNIP> Trade
secrets are exactly what the name says. It's a secret, so it's not published
anywhere. Patents, OTOH, are by definition published to provide constructive
notice to the world. A patent applies to a implementation of a *process*,
not to an idea. I believe that software is a written representation of an
idea and not a process. It is the computer device that actually performs the
process as directed by the software. I think extending the concept of
"implementation" beyond physical hardware to the software was a mistake.
<SNIP>

And here we have the crux of the matter.

If I write a set of programs that allows a call center operator to key in 3
pieces of information and then hit the enter key (1 click), and billing
data, shipping, etc. is all put together and with no further human
intervention the charge is made (if any), the address for delivery is
printed on a label (or whatever), etc. and the item now arrives at your
home, then haven't I done what Amazon (or whoever) claimed for a patent for
one click?

BUT, what I did was covered by TRADE SECRET in the mid-80s for a news paper
company. It can't be pulled up and cited by the PTO as "its already been
done, patent denied".

How about LLA? It was implemented on at least 1 S/370-158 that I know of in
the LA basin under OS/MVS. Is it the next thing to be patented?

Then there is the idea of putting multiple small files into a larger file to
save disk space. So you get a patent for this. Anyone hear of PDS, PDS/E, or
VSAM (which does this kind of thing with DOS), how about WINZIP? How about
the software written for NASA to do this on UNIVAC systems under EXEC-8 (I
wrote one). But M/S filed for such a patent.

Patents for software have become WRONG. The longer I'm in this profession,
the stronger this professional opinion is (not as a lawyer, but as a
software developer).

Later,
Steve Thompson

=