We migrated thousands of volumes of tape into our current VTS using
CA's COPYCAT.  Using something like it to go from your old VTS to a
new one should be even easier because you won't have to mount the old
tapes by hand.  We had to physically mount all of the old historical
tapes since they were not yet in a VTS. We were limited by the number
of added tape mounts per day which our operators would tolerate.

Ben Alford                             Enterprise Systems Programming
University of Tennessee