My experience with DB2 prior to V8 was that is was downward compatible, as long as the load libraries used to establish the thread were at the highest level you were wanting to connect to. Can't use Vn libraries to connect to a Vn+1 DB2, but can use Vn+1 to create a thread on a Vn DB2. V8 has some humongous changes in it, so the output of the pre-compiler for the two may be different. You can take a look at what the pre-compiler generates, in both V7 and V8. If any differences, the answer is probably no......probably won't bind successfully. If the bind executes ok, then it oughta' run. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Mills" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 2:39 PM
Subject: DB2 pre-compile V7 bind and run V8?

Yeah, I know there's a DB2 list.

Does anyone know if it is legal and possible to pre-compile (separate or
integrated co-processor) a COBOL program under DB2 V7, and then bind and run it under DB2 V8? (This is intended as a technology question, not a licensing
question. By "legal" I mean do the technical specs allow it; I'm assuming
proper IBM product licenses are in place.)

Thanks,

Charles Mills