Tom

Putting a huge enhancement to SMF such as the below described by John Eells
into an SPE for current releases - just a PTF in the service stream -
sounds like a fairly risky thing to do.  I certainly wouldn't want IBM to
do that.  Just my opinion.

On the other hand, a downloadable web deliverable (a dependent function,
similar to zIIP support for z/OS 1.6/1.7) that only customers who really
really want the relief for SMF can go ahead and install, that might be a
better idea.

But, at the end of the day, my guess is that absent some huge groundswell
of customer demand, we'll all just have to wait for z/OS 1.9.  Again, no
inside info, just my opinion.

Brian