Wallace, Jason wrote:
I don't think that NetView will change the colors of messages on the
MVS console, only within NetView, either in NetView's log or on a
operator whois logged on and is setup to receive those messages.

That's what I suspected, but I guess the problem was that from my novice
point of view, this part of Netview's functionality seemed a bit
deceiving: It can do all this other stuff to MVS messages (edit,
suppress, replace), why can't it color them?

Because NetView is getting the message after the decision has been made to either write it to the console or not write it to the console. That decision is made by MPF. After thinking about it what you MIGHT be able to do is create a automated operator, assign it to a console, then setup the automation table to color the the message.

At IPL you could do something like:

     AUTOTASK OPID=ACON01,CONSOLE=consolename

Then assign the message $HASP050 to the operator ID ACON01 and try and make it RED and have DISPLAY(Y). I am not sure this will work. I would have to test it.

However, IIRC $HASP050 gets issues as a action WTO normally.

I think our operators missed it the first time because it was white. It
happened at noon when the full-time operators were at lunch, and the
student employees (part timers) usually ignore everything except tape
mounts and red messages. Instead of bringing the hammer down on them, I
got caught up in the novelty, "if we can make that message red, can we
make others blue, yellow, whatever?"

We just had this happen recently. However, it was a full time operating staff. Hammers were used.

I will try your suggestions, thanks.

- Jason