Please bear in mind this isn't an official answer.  Check with your
friendly local IBM representative.

"Withdrawn from marketing" means that IBM no longer accepts new orders for
the product.  This is pretty straightforward for most hardware: IBM just
won't ship you a particular (new) box.  Software gets interesting.

Yes, IBM can quote and will charge applicable increases for your currently
licensed products, even products withdrawn from marketing.  You can move
software from one box to another (e.g. hardware model upgrades, relocations
of data centers).  If your company is acquired by another the acquiring
company can continue to run the software, grow the software capacity, move
to "their" boxes (e.g. consolidation), and so on.  (There's a very
important definition of an "enterprise" in software licensing that covers
such events.)  I suppose it's theoretically possible for one company that
wants to obtain a withdrawn product to buy another company that already has
it. :-)  And you can even change the licensing terms, such as moving from
full capacity to subcapacity (VWLC) licensing, and keep your withdrawn
products.  (Most such products will probably pick up the new licensing
terms.)

Theoretically IBM is free to change the price of withdrawn products...but
IBM honors contracts.

And -- but please check me on this, too -- I believe it is even possible as
a new customer to buy at least some old software that's withdrawn from
marketing.  I seem to recall that certain "OTC" software product licenses
allow buying the new version and then running any prior version.  If the
product still exists and has a direct, lineal successor then I think this
works.  I think it also works if the whole of the old software product got
merged into a new one.  And it extends to past platforms when the license
is cross-platform.  For example, if you want to buy Personal Communications
for DOS, which hasn't been marketed for a long time and is unsupported, you
can buy Host Access Client Package (HACP) which includes Personal
Communications for Windows: the lineage is intact.

And if all that's not enough, you can try for a "special bid" and see if
IBM can quote a price.  They'll probably find the closest modern match and
price on that.

Getting media is another question.  IBM may not be able to supply it, so
you'll have to find it from another source.  As long as you have a valid
license this is apparently OK.  Most IBM software doesn't have license
keys, so no obstacle there.

All that said, it's not usually a good idea to buy withdrawn products.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]