On 21 Mar 2007 12:54:14 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>Just a heads up.
>
>Did anyone else notice the Permanent Restriction listed in OA03767. Copy
>a PDSE dataset and the space needs to be larger on the output dataset.
>
>PROBLEM CONCLUSION:
>  When copying a large number of PDSE members, all of the attribute
>  records for a group of members are inserted into attribute
>  directory at one time.  This operation causes additional index
>  page splits that would not be experienced when PDSE members are
>  inserted into a data set one at a time. To correct this PDSE to
>  PDSE attribute directory growth design issue would require a
>  redesign of the current PDSE to PDSE copy performance design
>
>Jerry Whitteridge
>Safeway Inc
>925 951 4184

I would like to see a SHARE requirement that PDSE's should be usable
everywhere a PDS is including IPL time LPA and LINKLIST data sets,
PARMLIB datasets and SYS1.NUCLEUS unless that is replaced by an IPL
set of cylinders (who would care if IPLTEXT were 800 or 1000 cylinders
provided we were given information clearly and in advance?).  This
might motivate IBM to fix the PDSEs.  Note, I also believe a variant
of the PDSE should support long (at least 63 character) member names
in UNICODE).  We aren't in the world of 28 megabyte 2314s any longer.