It has now finally happened; our mainframe jobs have all been converted to PCs.
Only a few miscellaneous jobs will be run in the next 30 days. At the same
time, a company has acquired us and is interested in only our block of
business. All employees have been given their 90 days notice with a few to be
retained until company dissolution. PC operations will be handled eventually by
a third party for the Acquirer.

This is not a surprise as we have seen it coming. We are running OS/390 2.10 as
the processor, a Multiprise 2003-104, does not possess the architecture to
support z/OS. And since it is only 9 mips, it stands to reason that PCs can
easily handle the workload and they do. All needed files and reports have been
converted too. It amazes me to hear people say they consider themselves a small
shop but have over a 1000 mips at work.

We have been preparing for this final transition but are not sure we have all
our bases covered. Listed below are some items that we have consider so far:
*       Destroy all tape cartridges (3480s) as they may contain personal data
like SSNs, names, addresses and birthdates.
*       Apply a product like FDRERASE to purge the dasd.
*       Contact software vendors to cancel contracts.
*       Dispose of the mainframe and peripheral devices.

Employee placement services are been taken care of. Most of us are in our 50s
and 60s and may have to consider other careers. I'm 62 and will retire after 40
years of mainframe data processing starting with tab equipment to IBM 1401,
Univac U3 and so on. Loved my job and appreciative of participating in such
challenging work.

What we would like to have is a procedure that someone may have prepared to
make sure nothing is missed. Would someone please provide me with such a
document or point me in a direction.

Thanks,
Bill Pfeifer