Our mainframe will be replaced within the next 4 years.   Lots of my
peers are retiring and working part time with the old system, which
will help tremendously with the rest wanting to be retrained.   We
already have Oracle DBAs, so our non-retired IDMS DBA will just move
over (He has retired IDMS DBAs working with him).   I don't know how
our systems people will transition.

I can't afford to retire yet, so if my ticker doesn't get worse, I
will transition to the new system.

What is interesting to observe is how the Java team will move over.
They tend to be young guns who have never gone through a major
conversion.    As much as I dislike all of the complex procedures of
change control and user testing, I don't work with multitude of
objects and progressive programming changes.   I can't see that
switching to PeopleSoft's procedures will be comfortable for them.

Their life-cycle will be similar to what I've had - but quicker.