that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Gould) writes:
> John,
>
> I agree with you on this issue ... somewhat.....
>
> I was in the Army (over in Germany) and our base was a 'stepping
> stone" for generals. They came in a 1 star and one year (more or
> less) later they became a 2 star. We weren't even close to the
> trench's (so to speak) we were a "command" so no one really got hurt
> (per se) by any screwups the General may have caused. In a side issue
> (humorous) one of our subordinate bases when polled at 11PM reported
> they were under attack by the communist. Since they reported an
> attack we had to wake up our General to inform him of the situation.
> The colonel (IIRC), in charge of that base, was reduced in rank to a
> Captain(?) and was basically told to retire. All this from a sergeant
> who couldn't read a code book.

Boyd had lots of run in with generals ... just one of his old stories
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005n.html#14 Why? (Was: US Military Dead during
Iraq War

past post w/reference to dedication of Boyd Hall, United States Air
Force Weapons School, Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada. 17 September 1999
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007.html#20 MS to world: Stop sending money, we
have enough - was Re: Most ... can't run Vista
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007h.html#74 John W. Backus, 82, Fortran
developer, dies

"There are two career paths in front of you, and you have to choose
which path you will follow. One path leads to promotions, titles, and
positions of distinction.... The other path leads to doing things that
are truly significant for the Air Force, but the rewards will quite
often be a kick in the stomach because you may have to cross swords with
the party line on occasion. You can't go down both paths, you have to
choose. Do you want to be a man of distinction or do you want to do
things that really influence the shape of the Air Force? To be or to do,
that is the question."  Colonel John R. Boyd, USAF 1927-1997

... snip ...

misc. past posts mentioning Boyd
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subboyd.html#boyd
misc. URLs from around the web mentioning Boyd
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subboyd.html#boyd2

... there have also been corporate stepping stone positions ... for
individuals that got put on "fast track". Woe was you if the head
position of your organization was designated as a "fast track" stepping
stone ... there could be turn-over in the position every six months.