On Thu, 10 May 2007 05:22:53 -0500, David Eisenberg wrote:

>   ELSE IF &SUBSTR(&K,&L)=C THEN SET &X=&STR(&X)
> &&amp;amp;&&amp;amp;OPTC<
>                                             ^^^^^   ^^^^^^^^^^^

Darren, is this a bug in entity conversion by LISTSERV, or did
did the submitter post it that way?

>I've tried things like that; it is absolutely not that simple. I just tried
>this
>solution; it sets X to a single ampersand concatenated only to the last
>expression. For example, if the user enters "ABC", the result is "&OPTC".
>
>There's something more to it than just doubling the ampersands.

CLIST's infernal iterative substitution.

On the first iteration, "&&amp;&&amp;OPTC" becomes "&&amp;OPTC"
On the second iteration, "&&amp;OPTC" becomes "&OPTC".
You always wind up with just one "&".

Anyone wonder why I prefer Rexx?

-- gil