Patrick Lyon wrote:
List - I am having a terrible time finding an AMS messages and codes manual. Didn't they incorporate that with SMS way back when?

We have a batch COBOL job that gets a return code of 90 when it attempts to write a record to a VSAM file. The user indicates a 90 as an "unknown error". I would like to see IBM's explanation of it.

Unfortunately there isn't any system messages produced in the job that indicate a problem with the file to go off of.

Could someone be so kind to point me to the correct manual with VSAM return codes?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick Lyon

First, I would look at the COBOL Programmers Guide chapter on
Processing VSAM Files, the section Handling Errors in VSAM files.

Here you will see you can specify 3 file status data items. Give
that a try. The second and third file status items correspond to
the under-the-covers VSAM values; add a DISPLAY of these items
after the write if file status is on 00

Second, go to the doc DFSMS Macro Instructions for Data Sets;
In Chapter 3, under the section Record Management Return and
Reason codes is where you find the values and their meanings,
such as they are.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques