For those still in doubt, here's a one track PDS with one directory block.

_____________________________________________________________________
                             Data Set Information
Command ===>

Data Set Name  . . . : ASE.V2DEV.ONETRK

General Data                          Current Allocation
 Volume serial . . . : ASE001          Allocated tracks  . : 1
 Device type . . . . : 3380            Allocated extents . : 1
 Organization  . . . : PO              Maximum dir. blocks : 1
 Record format . . . : FB
 Record length . . . : 80
 Block size  . . . . : 3120           Current Utilization
 1st extent tracks . : 1               Used tracks . . . . : 1
 Secondary tracks  . : 0               Used extents  . . . : 1
                                       Used dir. blocks  . : 1
 Creation date . . . : 2007/05/20      Number of members . : 2
_____________________________________________________________________
EDIT     ASE.V2DEV.ONETRK                                   Row 000
Command ===>                                                  Scrol
   Name     Prompt          Size    Created           Changed
. ONE                          1   2007/05/20   2007/05/20 21:16:55
. TWO                          1   2007/05/20   2007/05/20 21:17:27


_____________________________________________________________________


..and here's the one and only directory block:

(note: 8 byte hardware key field preceeding this block is x'ffffffffffffffff')

===> BLOCK# 1
0000(+0000) 0062 <--- each used dir blk starts with halfword "offset-to-freespace"
   ... 1st directory entry, for member "ONE     " ...
D6D5 C5404040 40400000 030F0100 | ONE | member TTR=0000 03
0016(+0010)  00550107 140F0107 140F2116 00010001  |                |
0032(+0020)  0000C7D9 C1C5D4C5 40404040
   ... 2nd directory entry, for member "TWO     " ...
                                        E3E6D640  |  GRAEME    TWO |
0048(+0030) 40404040 0000050F 01000027 0107140F | | member TTR=0000 05
0064(+0040)  0107140F 21170001 00010000 C7D9C1C5  |            GRAE|
0080(+0050)  D4C54040 4040
   ... the 12 byte end-of-directory entry, key x'FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF' ...
                          FFFF FFFFFFFF FFFF0000  |ME              |
0096(+0060)  0000
   ... rest of the block is free space ...
                 0000 00000000 00000000 00000000  |                |
0112(+0070)  00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000  |                |
0128(+0080)  00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000  |                |
0144(+0090)  00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000  |                |
0160(+00A0)  00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000  |                |
0176(+00B0)  00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000  |                |
0192(+00C0)  00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000  |                |
0208(+00D0)  00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000  |                |
0224(+00E0)  00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000  |                |
0240(+00F0)  00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000  |                |

REACHED EOF <--- there's an EOF following the directory block, it's rec 2 on the track.

Rec 3 on the track is the data block for member "ONE"

Rec 4 .. is the EOF for                  member "ONE"

Rec 5 on the track is the data block for member "TWO"

Rec 6 .. is the EOF for                  member "TWO"


Regards to all,
Graeme



At 04:10 AM 5/13/2007, various persons wrote:
<snip>
I tested this in the old days of SLED DASD, and the directory was a
keyed track and you COULD NOT store a member in the directory track.  It
always took 2 tracks minimum for a PDS (of course, this has not been
true for about 15 years).
<snip>
I agree with (the other) Tom - I don't think this has ever been true.
I just tried making a member in a new single track PDS under MVS 3.8
and it worked without a problem - and that software is more than
20 years old.
<snip>
All I can tell you is that I tested this on an old 3380 circa 1994 with MVS 4.2(? so long ago not sure anymore). Nothing other than the directory was stored on the first track. I then tested on a RAMAC2, but no problem creating a 1-track PDS and storing a member. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but that's what I remember.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html

Reply via email to