Shared HFS is a pretty strange thing.  It really isn't like anything
else in the MVS world as far as I can tell.

1. You have to be some sort of sysplex.  I am pretty sure that XCF
signaling will be enough to get you up and running.
2. You have to have the HFS sharing data set setup.
3. Everything is shared with the HFS sharing turned on which means that
you really need to RTFM... there are no shortcuts on this one.

Personally, I think IBM missing the boat here.  I keep meaning to open
up a change request... but the HFS sharing is not very flexible.  Once
you turn it on for a couple of systems .. they are linked.

I don't have just one SYS1.PARMLIB or just one SYS1.PROCLIB (although we
try to keep it down to just a couple).

I had really wanted to be able to share things where it made sense..
like between a couple of systems in that were production... or the /etc
between multiple system (have dev share, have prod share)  but not all
of them ( I have a plex with 2 tech systems, 2 dev systems and 9 prod
systems )  What I ended up doing is mounting all the binary stuff
read-only and sharing them.  Every other file system is done system by
system.

I would really like ZFS/HFS files to be managed in some sort of
grouping... maybe more like the JES2 XCF group where we give it a name
to keep them all separate within the same plex.  Or maybe RLS type
sharing where I can actually define what I want to share and what I
don't.

Here is an example

file system                      dataset                    Mounted
---------------------------     -------------------------   -----------
/opt/fitb/tomcatdb              (OMVSU.TECH.TOMCATDB)       Read, Write
/opt/fitb/jspwiki/sysprog       (OMVS.TECH.JSPWIKI.SYSPROG) Read, Write
/opt/fitb/jspwiki               (OMVS.TECH.JSPWIKI)         Read, Write
/opt/fitb/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28 (OMVS.TECH.TOMCAT)          Read, Write
/usr/blk                        (OMVS.TEC1.BLK.ESSIP)       Read, Write
/usr/lpp/etldapv3               (OMVS.TEC1.ETLDAPV3)        Read, Write
/usr/opt                        (OMVS.TEC1.USR.OPT)         Read, Write
/usr/local                      (OMVS.TEC1.USR.LOCAL)       Read, Write
/opt/fitb                       (OMVS.TEC1.OPT.FITB)        Read, Write
/usr/mail                       (OMVS.TEC1.MAIL)            Read, Write
/u                              (OMVS.TEC1.HOME)            Read, Write
/SYSTEM/var                     (OMVS.TEC1.VAR.ZFS)         Read, Write
/SYSTEM/etc                     (OMVS.TEC1.ETC.ZFS)         Read, Write
/usr/lpp/perl                   (OMVS.RST01A.SPRLHFS)       Read Only
/usr/lpp/ixm                    (OMVS.RST01A.XML)           Read Only
/usr/lpp/ing                    (OMVS.RST01A.SINGHFS)       Read Only
/usr/lpp/cobol                  (OMVS.RST01A.SIGYROOT)      Read Only
/usr/lpp/TWS/V8R3M0             (OMVS.RST01A.SEQQHFS)       Read Only
/usr/lpp/zWebSphere/V6R1        (OMVS.RST01A.SBBOHFS)       Read Only
/usr/lpp/netview                (OMVS.RST01A.NETVHFS)       Read Only
/usr/lpp/mqm                    (OMVS.RST01A.MQS)           Read Only
/usr/lpp/java/J5.0              (OMVS.RST01A.JAVA31V5)      Read Only
/usr/lib/ssh                    (OMVS.RST01A.AFOROOT)       Read Only
/                               (OMVS.RST01A.ROOT)          Read Only
/SYSTEM/tmp                     (/TMP)                      Read, Write
/SYSTEM/dev                     (/DEV)                      Read, Write

All the file-systems are ZFS with the exception of /tmp and /dev which
are TFS.  All the Read-Only's are on the RES pack as part of ServerPac.

Ahh yes wishful thinking...all without those pesky realities...

Rob Schramm

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be
privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you
receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any
manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please
reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was
misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your
assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.