Peter Relson:
>No, the dsname cannot include &SYSR1.
>Nor is such functionality likely to be implemented.
>There is no full system symbol support for any symbol including &SYSR1
(so >substrings are not supported, for example).

Peter,

Thank you for noticing and the authoritative answer.
I'd hope this is not the last word (even if a word comes too late for
me).

Why am I asking about this?

Because I have a top level PARMLIB (locally updated parms/ members)
for every sysres set that we have around here. I'm guessing others
do likewise.

The OS can easily find it via either master catalogue and/or volser in
PARMLIB statement (that can be a symbol like '&SYSR1', '*MCAT*',
'******").

However it is me who needs to update it, and, make sure I do not touch
the "live, running" sysres PARMLIB. Typically, for any updates,
including
PARMLIB/PROCLIBs we make an alternate/ cloned sysres set and prepare
it for an IPL. So, each time, while editing, I'm concerned, and I do
check, multiple times, am I really editing the right one?
A volser (=&SYSR1), in a PARMLIB dsname single qualifier, would be a
helpful, visual feedback, and it would offer an additional flexibility:
A sysres set level PARMLIB could be placed on other volumes (than
'&SYSR1'), like *MCAT* or IODF, since it could have a unique dsname with
a clear indication as to where it belongs.
In our setup an IODF volume supports multiple images/ *MCAT*s. There are
multiple sysres sets for an *MCAT*.

A simplified support for &SYSR1 symbol (no substring support) in the
dsname field of LOADxx/PARMLIB statement would be a good thing for
z/OS system programmers.

Janek J.