As is my want, I always respond with a terse opinion of spam when it appears
to be a "real email address." His response is that some wacko bill in the US
defines it as non-spam because it has unsubscribe tagged to the bottom.

Seeing as I am in Hong Kong, he needs to check the section of this country's
legislation that discusses address harvesting and sending more than 100
emails in 24 hours.

Spam is spam is spam.