On Wed, 30 May 2007 21:59:09 +1000, Shane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Mmmmm - I have to say I don't like the concept that a 1.8 system
>entering a happily running 'plex will unilaterally cause the master
>console to vapourise. For the entire 'plex !!!.
>*Extremely* bad karma.

Shane - nothing vaporizes (forgive the liberties of the US spelling) when
the 1.8 system joins the plex.  What changes is the 'binding' between
console id zero and some arbitrary 'first found' console in the sysplex.
For some time now, you could assign MVS MASTER authority (distinct from SAF
authority) to any console via CONSOLxx or VARY command.  With 1.8 you can
direct the console ID zero messages to the console(s) of your choice via the
INTIDS attribute.

This change levels the playing field (evens the pitch?) so that 'all master
consoles are created equal'.

Scott Fagen
z/OS Core Technology Design
IBM Poughkeepsie