"Craddock, Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Sorry, my rant was not clear. Operating systems in particular have
>pretty significant dependencies on the instruction set architecture. It
>is just impossible to run a Microsoft Windows operating system (binary)
>on anything that isn't a faithful implementation of the Intel x86 or
>IA32 or IA64 instruction set architecture. It's challenging enough even
>for AMD.

As Shakespeare put it, "There are more things in heaven and earth than are
dreamt of in your philosophy".

Bochs exists and has for years, emulating Intel architecture under Linux.
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

Adam Thornton ran:
- a P/390 (ESA hardware co-emulation with OS/2 as the SAP)
- VM/ESA under that
- Linux under that
- Bochs under that
- Windows under that
- Exchange under that

And it booted and came up.  Took about a half hour for the first screen to come
up, but it came up.

Nobody suggested it was production-ready, but it proved that it was possible.

...phsiii