IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 06/13/2007

12:37:38 PM:

> Ordinarily, as PR/SM dispatches CPs to LPARs, a Logical CP may have a
> task dispatched to it, but beneath it, it has no physical CP.
> Milliseconds later, the CP may well be back and the task actually
runs.
> But when we had our 2064-104 and it's cap kicked in, the CP was gone
for
> awhile, not for a few seconds at a time but for minutes, and response
> time suffered noticeably.  It seems that, with fewer engines, and a
> steeper climb to exceed the cap, an engine may be gone for quite
awhile,
> compared to a several-engine system whose cap is closer to machine
> capacity.  It was also being capped during lunch time, when
customarily
> our usage dropped anyway, so we did not logically need that 4th CP.
But
> the distinct impression we got was that MVS was not aware that one
LCP
> had become only a phantom, and MVS had not varied a CP offline, but
> instead continued to attempt to dispatch work to it.
>
> 1. Given that an over-busy LPAR looses one or more CPs from being
> dispatched for more than milliseconds, does MVS know that the CP is
> gone?  (Currently we have a 2094-S08.)  As the MVS scheduler
dispatches,
> does a 4-engine LPAR's MVS treat the situation internally as if it
still
> had 4 engines, while one of them is out-to-lunch due to capping, or is
> MVS instead informed, varies the CP offline internally, and dispatches
> its work on just the remaining 3 CPs?  It would seem that, if the
> situation has become significant enough for an engine to be offline
long
> enough (minutes to an hour) but without MVS's knowledge, then it might
> be more beneficial if (perhaps by automation) an engine was officially
> varied offline, allowing work that is dispatched to actually run,
rather
> than having the TCB imagine that it is going to run on a LCP whose PCP
> is not there anymore.  Of course the follow-up question wonders
whether
> the now-3-CP environment will have one of its PCPs taken away as PR/SM
> figures that it has to actually pinch somewhere to fix its average?
> Observations?  And how has the group-of-capped-LPARs worked?

  LPAR dispatching  does not work the way you are suggesting. LPAR
spreads a zone's share  equally among the online Logical CPs in the
zone.  You may see a Logical CP getting dispatched only once every 500
milliseconds, but that is because MVS has it in a wait due to Alternate
Wait Management.  If the Wait bit is not on in the PSW, a Logical CP
gets an equal share of the zone's share.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY