---------------------<snip>----------------------
And should these user-exits be SMP controlled to begin with? Or should we simply give sample assemble/linkedit JCL along with the source and let the end user control their own destiny? The downside is that it might not always be obvious to new sysprog's which exit(s) are actually installed and active or where the source is for the active and installed exits. At least with SMP you know which usermod was last applied; which should give you the last set of updates or source for the exit.
Russ, I tend to believe that user exits should be under SMP control, BUT that the site needs to maintain complete documentation of exit function, status and location. Newcomers to a site seldom have any idea about what usermods are present or why, but will learn quickly when there's good docs.