-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of (IBM Mainframe Discussion List)
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 8:18 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Patents, Copyrights, Profits, Flex and Hercules

On Jun 14, 2007, at 8:51 PM, FRASER, Brian wrote:
>>What mainframe software did CA originally develop?

In a message dated 6/14/2007 10:11:19 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>My vague recollection was the cobol optimizer capex. I could be  wrong
its been ages and ages.

Capex was the name of an ISV in Phoenix, I think.  They had several
products.  My employer bought one of their products ca. 1972.  I can't
remember now
what it did (too many ages and ages).  I don't remember what  happened
Capex, but they were probably borged by CA.
<snip>

They had the CAPEX COBOL Optimizer that was used by two different places
where I did contract work in the '80s. I remember calling them about a
problem and the next week being told they had been acquired by CA.
That's as much as I can recall about them. I remember a bit more about
the optimizer, but not much -- one thing being how well dumps were
formatted when using one of their options (DTECT?). And so the one
client we had was going to get rid of ABENDAID because it didn't make
sense to have both products.

Regards,
Steve Thompson