In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 06/12/2007
   at 08:36 AM, Steve Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>To the patent issue: Patents are OK as long as they are for new
>technical development and not business processes.

IMHO, patents are desirable only to the extent that USPTO is familiar
with prior art and able to recognize what is obvious to practitioners.
As soon as the USPTO grants patents that don't satisfy the legal
requirements and relies on the courts to resolve issues that they
should have dealt with, then the patents cause more harm than good.
That's true whether the patents are for business processes, hardware
or software.

>But having been in a court on an IP case opened my eyes to the
>amount of abuse of the patent process,

The supremes are starting to notice as well.