Phil

It seems hardly credible that you ally yourself with this belief given the exposure the topic so often has in this forum. This explains Ted's response incidentally.

I generally let the incorrect use of USS go by - *if* there's no risk of confusion with the correct use.

However, in a - very - recent exchange - earlier this month - which even managed to acquire the re-titling "USS pedantry", two additional points arose:

1. A very significant practical point was made by Steve Thompson (Tuesday, June 05, 2007 9:57 PM) that if you habitually misuse USS you may find that your ETR is misrouted to VTAM support.

2. Misuse of USS can be irritating to folk - like myself actually although I've learned not to complain - who have known - and some have hated[1] - USS from the mid-'70s. It is therefore discourteous.

I have demolished your heretical belief quite conclusively in past posts. You can verify the point yourself very easily by using USS as a search word on the UNIX System Services bookshelf. Already you become aware of the "unofficial" status when you find that only 4 books out of the 11 even register a "hit".

[1] One colleague sometime around 1977 is well remembered for cursing "Session not bound", the original text for USS message 7.

Chris Mason

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Smith III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:33 AM
Subject: Re: Patents, Copyrights, Profits, Flex and Hercules

"Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You write USS when you mean z/OS Unix system Services. Why is one
piece of incorrect nomenclature worse than another? They are equally
wrong.

"USS" is the (I believe) accepted acronym (or at least abbreviation, if you say "you ess ess" rather than "usssssssss") for MVS, OS/390, and z/OS UNIX System Services.

...phsiii