that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

IBMsysProg wrote:
> From a software architecture standpoint, Multi Regions, Independent
> locking (IRLM), Automated Recovery (DBRC), and DASD Logging became the
> foundations of IBMs second relational data base system and its first
> SQL based system called at its introduction DB2.  IBMs first
> relational database system pre dated wide use of DASD and long
> historys could be written about it alone ...  "Bill of Material
> Program called at various times BOMP T-BOMP for TAPE BOMP and D-BOMP
> for DISK BOMP.  BOMP was probably used more for applications like
> payroll than manufacturing.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007m.html#47 Capacity and Relational Database
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007m.html#55 Capacity and Relational Database

lots of postings about sql/relational database system/r
done at sjr/bldg.28
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#systemr

including mentioning doing work on system/r and handling technology
transfer of system/r from sjr to endicott for sql/ds.

another source of a lot of old archeological references:
http://www.mcjones.org/System_R

now system/r was all done in vm370 virtual machines ... technology out
of the science center ... 4th flr, 545 tech sq
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

on the 5th flr, 545 tech sq was multics ... which had done an even
earlier relational implementation. recent posting (in
comp.databases.theory)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#1 Designing database tables for
performance?
with multics MRDS reference:
http://www.multicians.org/mgm.html#MRDS
http://www.mcjones.org/System_R/mrds.html

now the seminal work on relational was done by Codd at SJR,

A relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks,
ACM, v13n6, june 1970
http://www.acm.org/classics/nov95/toc.html

wiki reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_F._Codd

minor pt in the above reference ... sjr was in bldg. 28 on the san jose
plant site, the almaden facility wasn't built until the mid-80s.

now one of the people in the meeting referenced here
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/96.html#15

mentioned that he had handled a lot of technology transfer from sql/ds &
endicott back to STL for DB2 (even tho bldg. 28 and bldg. 90 are only
about ten miles apart ... i would even periodically do the commute on my
bike).

for lots of topic drift ... two of the other people in that same meeting
... were later at a small client/server startup responsible for
something called the commerce server and we were called in to consult on
being able to do payment transactions on their server
... misc. collected postings mentioning putting together payment
transaction infrastructure for what is now frequently referred to as
electronic commerce
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#gateway