that has been posted to alt.folklore.computers,bit.listserv.ibm-main as well.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007m.html#64 Operating systems are old and busted
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007m.html#66 Off Topic But Concept should be Known
To All
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007m.html#67 Operating systems are old and busted

part of the timesharing issue was whether the off-shift useage charges
(or just plain useage) could justify the off-shift operational costs
... since useage tended to decline significantly offshift and weekends
(although I finally got my home machine for dial-up access mar70 ... it
was 2741 selectric, and have effectively had online access at home ever
since). lots of past posts about timesharing services ... including
commercial (cp67 & vm370) timesharing service bureaus in the 60s & 70s.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#timeshare

in the 60s & thru some of the 70s, machines tended to be leased ... and
there was system meter ... which would rackup charges as the machine was
used ... even when the machine was in "wait" state ... but I/O was
active. The 2702 "prepare" command was mechanism to leave the terminal
lines "prepared" for any terminal operation ... w/o actually having an
active I/O apparent to the system meter.

the incremental machine lease charges and costs having people/operators
present ... was one of the inhibitors for justifying/providing
around-the-clock, 7x24 timesharing operation (since offshift useage
could be extremely spotty).

eliminating system meter running ... when the system wasn't actually
doing anything (just available for doing something) ... and being able
to run with dark-room, unattended operation ... would significantly
lower the off-shift useage threashold that was necessary to justify
leaving the system up, available and operational (significantly helped
in transition for providing production around-the-clock, 7x24
operation).