---------------------<snip>-------------------
This thread deserves to die, I suspect indeed that it were better stillborn.
Maybe I can inject a little humor into the death throes:

A very fine lady was invited aboard a US Navy ship, to a reception after the conclusion of some multi-national naval maneuvers. While walking around, she noticed a number of abbreviations on the uniforms of the officers present. Approaching a US Navy officer, she inquired "What does the 'USS' stand for?"

He replied "USS stands for United States Ship, ma'am". Wandering further, she met an officer of the Royal Navy, so she asked "What does 'HMS' stand for?"

The British officer replied "HMS stands for Her Majesty's Ship, ma'am." Near the end of the reception, she met an Italian officer who was slightly "into his cups". She asked him "What does the 'IMB' on your hat stand for?"

Wavering slightly, he replied "It'sa my boat"!

Moral of the story: Acronyms are VERY MUCH context-sensitive. If we can at least agree on that single point, then the so-called heresy pretty much ceases to exist, and it's only the obvious misuses that matter. And we can all pick them out, pretty much without a second thought.