>A simple reason why I still prefer to do allocations in CYLs/TRKs
>is the interfaces ISPF provides. Take 3.4 as an example. What you
>see reported is tracks. Don't know whether that's customizable in
>the meantime but I'm fairly sure it's still the default. So
>allocating in CYLs/TRKs comes quite close to a good 'what you see
>reported is what you defined' feeling. I wouldn't call that
>laziness on the user part.

Well, it comes down to the "egg-or-chicken" question, I guess.

ISPF displays the space in the unit used to allocate the data set.
If you allocate in cylinders, you'll see cylinders, if you allocate
in mega-units (i.e. AVGREC=M in JCL or MB in ISPF), you'll see
megabytes, etc.

So, once you start to use the AVGREC=M/K/U or MB/KB ISPF options,
you'll see those over time more and more when using ISPF's I/S
display options.

Peter Hunkeler
Credit Suisse