On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:31:22 -0400, Thompson, Steve wrote:

>With z/OS 1.8, you will be able to use an external time reference (NOT
>an ETR) and provide time services to your LAN (assuming a z/9 and I'm
>not up on model numbers these days, so a 2096 could be one).

The 2096 is indeed a z9.

Be careful about the ETR stuff. We just went through an exercise with IBM
looking to dump our 9037-002. While IBM is quite happy pointing out you no
longer need to purchase a $40K Timex to keep your machine synched with the
rest of the planet, they aren't as quick to point out the firmware required to
enable the ETR features is about $25K.

At this point in time, it's about a 20 year payback to justify getting rid of
the
9037. We'll revisit this the next time we do a machine upgrade. It's supposedly
cheaper to order the box with the ETR firmware than to try to upgrade.