>>> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at  6:47 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]
.bisx.prod.on.blackberry>, Ted MacNEIL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > 2. Why not just attach the memory to the guest, rather than page.
>
>>Because the guest will use it all, and you don't want it to do that.  (See
> your own comment from before. :)
>
> You sort of misinterpreted what I meant.
> Give the guest enough to not page, and no more.

That's still probably too much, if only by a little.  The idea is to force
Linux to use as little storage as possible for buffers and cache, and page out
any programs, etc., that haven't been used very recently.  Letting z/VM handle
this via expanded storage, and paging some things out to real disk turns out to
work very well in a shared environment.  Other techniques, such as having the
kernel in a Named Saved Segment, and executable userspace code in a DCSS using
the eXecute In Place file system helps even more.

Mark Post