I agree w/Ulrich.

That said, if you absolutely need to read a report and have no access to a
well-behaved 4g language (brdt many times), first look at the file.  Is
pos 1 either of the set (blank/1/0/+/-) or unprintables (hex values 01 03
09 0B 11 13 19 1B 73 7B 89 8B 91 93 99 9B A1 A3 A9 AB B1 B3 B9 BB C1 C3 C9
CB D1 D3 D9 DB E1 E3) you have been blessed w/ASA print control characters
or Machine print control characters.  You will need to interpret them to
determine position on a page.

pup

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 09/10/2007
01:36:46 PM:

> Howard,
> Instead of trying to read in a "printed report" on file and parsing my
way
> through all the extraneous stuff like page heading lines, total lines,
blank
> lines etc. to get to the meat of the information, I would ask for the
input
> file that created the report in the first place. Processing a data file
is,
> IMHO, a lot less error prone than parsing my way through a printed
report.
> OK, it can be done and I have done it, too, if I had no other choice.
But I
> prefer not to do so. And you can bet money on the fact that a few months
or
> years later, the report format changes because someone modified the
report
> program and then your program goes down in flames ... that's probably
going
> to cause a 3am phone call from a panicked operator ... I like to avoid
that
> kind of disturbances.
> Alternatively, if you cannot process the input file, for whatever the
> reason, try and see if you can get a data file containing the needed
> information. Change (or have someone change) the report program to also
> output a data file with the information that you are looking for and
then
> process that data file instead of the "printed report" file.

> Regards,
> Ulrich Krueger

Behalf
> Of Howard Brazee
> Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 09:46
> To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
> Subject: How would you read a report?

> What would be the cleanest way to have a CoBOL program read a report
file
> //             DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=133,DSORG=PS)

> Would you copy it first, changing its format?

The information contained in this communication (including any
attachments hereto) is confidential and is intended solely for the
personal and confidential use of the individual or entity to whom
it is addressed. The information may also constitute a legally
privileged confidential communication. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that you have received this communication in error and that any
review, dissemination, copying, or unauthorized use of this
information, or the taking of any action in reliance on the
contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately
by e-mail, and delete the original message. Thank you