On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:49:58 -0400, Lizette Koehler wrote:

>If the file is on DASD or TAPE and I knew the layout of the file, I would use
SAS or REXX to filter through and collect the stuff I want.  I do this all the
time with SYSLOG which does not look much different than the DCB provided
below.

I think I'd write a REXX routine and call it from COBOL.

You'd code 10,000 lines of COBOL to emulate what PARSE is capable of doing
off-the-shelf. PARSE is so powerful and flexible and tailor-made for this kind
of
thing. I've got one that kept working even after report layout changes (so far
anyway).

Good luck