On Sep 10, 2007, at 5:49 PM, George Dranes wrote:

We just recently installed z/OS 1.8 using ServerPac. We then applied all of the latest RSU maintenance. I noticed many of the SYS1 datasets on our SYSRES apparently were allocated too small by ServerPac jobs. I know some
may just need compressed but others such as SYS1.SHASLNKE which is a
PDSE is also into 5 extents. My question is, does anyone out there try to get these allocated into one extent or do you just leave as is and not worry about it because of today's DASD?? It just gets kind of irritating when many of these datasets are obviously allocated (in blocks even) too small by the
ServerPac allocate jobs.

George,

This has been a problem area since I started sysproging 25+ years ago, so its not necessarily a SERVPAC issue. I run the apply with compress(all) and then after all the applies are done I look through a fileaid 3.7 and do a sort on extents. Then I reallocate and copy any dataset that is in 2 or more extents. Is this needed? Its more or less a personal neatness "thing". If the library is in the linklst IMO it is definitely needed if not probably not but I do it so if there is an emergency ptf or apar that needs to go on and I don't need an IPL I don't need to schedule one. I like to see extra room in almost any dataset that is a heavy hitter when it comes to maint. that way I know (or with good amount of certainty ) that an IPL won't be needed.

You learn after years what library(ies) will probably be hit most often and give those an extra "empty space". PDSe libraries are more difficult but should be treated no differently, IMO.

You could probably do the above with FDR but I find I have a better feel for which libraries need the expansion breathing space.

Ed