(Re-post to the list.  For NNTP users, sorry for the duplicate.)

Thompson, Steve wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of George Dranes
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 5:50 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: ServerPac Installs and dataset allocations

We just recently installed z/OS 1.8 using ServerPac.  We then applied
all of the latest RSU maintenance.  I noticed many of the SYS1 datasets
on our SYSRES apparently were allocated too small by ServerPac jobs.  I
know some may just need compressed but others such as SYS1.SHASLNKE
which is a PDSE is also into 5 extents.  My question is, does anyone out
there try to get these allocated into one extent or do you just leave as
is and not worry about it because of today's DASD??  It just gets kind
of irritating when many of these datasets are obviously allocated (in
blocks even) too small by the ServerPac allocate jobs.
<SNIP>

It is my opinion that the ServerPac building people are using older
logic and have not updated it. After all, it ain't broke, so it won't
get fixed. This is why when I do ServerPac installs, I spend time on the
allocations. Which is also how I found errors in their logic -- they
assumed volumes would be SMS managed using the first two characters of
the VOLSER!!
<snip>

The data set space allocations are not the result of a logic problem. The logic is WAD (or BAD, if you prefer). As I said before, the allocations are intended to make sure the RESTORE job runs and that the resulting data sets have *some* free space.

Also, the installation dialog does not assume that volumes are SMS-managed based on volume serial. Instead, it uses a "logical volume serial" (not to be confused with the actual physical volume serial) to identify SMS-managed and non-SMS-managed data sets. Logical volumes are really just tags to identify groups of data sets.

I always wanted to get rid of "logical volumes" (or at least their displays) but there wasn't an opportunity to do so while I was there, and as you can see we haven't gotten to it yet. Since the term confuses so many people, if I could go back in time, I'd name them something else ("data set group name," perhaps).

Last, if you are spending a lot of time on data set allocation adjustments, you should look at using the CH SPACE command in the View and Change option of Modify System Layout.

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing