(off-list to hide my ignorance)

Hello Ed,

Out of curiosity, in a situation where multiple abends occurred, how does
SYSMDUMP processing handle this?  Does it write multiple dumps to the
dataset? (I'm guessing "yes" because of the nature of SYSOUT storage.)

We just had a situation where, in a multi-TCB address space, the customer
had only SYSUDUMP.  The problem was SP 0 fragmentation below the line, and
unfortunately we only got SP 0 storage associated with the two TCBs that RTM
decided to dump, which you can guess made things difficult for me to track
down.  Luckily a couple of days ago we got another dump, from another
customer, with the same below-the-line storage issues, but luckily the
dumped SP 0 had a lot more info.  A SYSMDUMP would have come in very handy
in those environments.

(Now I'm fighting an internal battle between SYSMDUMP and SYSABEND. One of
our support reps has some REXX programs he's written to parse
SYSUDUMP/ABEND, and I'm trying to bring them into the late 1990s with IPCS
and re-writing the REXX programs to do the same thing.)

Also, I'll ask just because, but does Phoenix have any openings?  I like
what I'm doing, but there are some issues within the company that are making
me wonder if it was a good thing to take this position so quickly.

Thanks and best regards,
Ray Mullins

--
M. Ray Mullins
Roseville, CA, USA

German is essentially a form of assembly language consisting entirely of far
calls heavily accented with throaty guttural sounds. ---ilvi
French is essentially German with messed-up pronunciation and spelling.
--Robert B Wilson
English is essentially French converted to 7-bit ASCII.  ---Christophe
Pierret [for Alain LaBonté]