Look for the dataset to be cataloged in 2 different user catalogs
This must be done by a LISTCAT for each individual usercatalog.
ISPF 3.4 cannot do this. It must be IDCAMS LISTCAT.

Try LISTCAT ENT('your.dataset.name') ALL CAT('your.usercatalog.here')
either online or in batch.

*ONCE FOR EACH USERCATALOG/MASTERCATALOG IN YOUR SHOP*

HTH,

<snip>
One of the user's have reported me an issue regarding duplicate entries
for a particular dataset on the same volume. While I can try and fix the

issue (by un-cataloguing/cataloguing the dataset), I cant really
understand how the two entries would be displayed in the first place.

The problem is :

If we use a wildcard character in the name of the dataset on 3.4 panel
(like XYZ*ABC.DATASET), we see two entries for the same dataset on the
same volume. However, if we specify the complete dataset name, as in,
XYZ$ABC.DATASET, only one entry is being is being displayed.

Both the entries are in the same user catalog. This is a non-sms managed

1.4 system.
</snip>