that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hunkeler Peter  , KIUK 3) writes:
> Fixed storage is not only to support diabled users but much more often
> used in the ubiquituos I/O processing. The channel subsystem (the I/O
> part of System z hardware) does not use DAT. Channel commands transfer
> data blocks data from and to real storage to and from I/O devices,
> resp.  Before the I/O can be initiated, MVS's I/O supervisor code has
> to make sure the virtual storage allocated for the I/O buffers is not
> being paged out while the channel subsystem is working on the I/O
> request.  Therefore, the pages will be fixed before the I/O supervisor
> passes the I/O request to the channel subs

this was part of the technology that was borrowed from cp67 in the
original os/vs2 work ... discussed earlier in this thread
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007p.html#69 GETMAIN/FREEMAIN and virtual storage
backing up
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007p.html#70 GETMAIN/FREEMAIN and virtual storage
backing up

one of the uses for "fixed" storage was allowing applications to build
channel programs with the (previously) "fixed", real storage addresses
... then the application channel program could be directly executed
... w/o requiring the supervisor having to scan ... building a
shadow/duplicate channel program with the "real" addresses

for instance, lookup various discussions about EXCPVR compared to EXCP

... this redbook has some discussion of the differences between EXCPVR
and EXCP (although most of the discussion is about support for using
storage about 2GB line)
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/SG245976.html

from 2.10.3 Using EXCP and EXCPVR

Programs using EXCPVR have the esponsibility to page fix all I/O area
and build real channel programs.

... snip ...