On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 12:46:55 -0600, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:12:40 -0600, Doc Farmer wrote:
>>
>>Come on, IBM!  Make that software available to IBM-MAIN'ers, RACF-L'ers,
>>etc., for $100 a pop, and you'll be able to make at least $20 profit on each
>>
>One PMR on such a system would put IBM in the red.  Who would pay for
>software support?  How much?  Some developers would likely freeload for
>service on supported systems to which they have or pretend to have
>access, not a welcome prospect for IBM.

IBM has been implementing the 'solution' to that for the past year or more:
There will be no PMRs from home customers since the 3270 interface reached
its sunset a while back.  All future customers will be required to use IBMLink!

All IBM has to do is disallow home customers from using the 1-800-IBM-z/OS
support line and there is no support issue left to "solve".

But I wonder if the SOHO z/OS support issue could be really addressed by
assigning it to a third party company ("SOHO z/OS Support, LLC") and then let
them come up with a business model that works for customers, themselves
and IBM?  (Maybe that's something that FSI already proposed to IBM?)

--
Tom Schmidt