On 6 Dec 2007 14:29:27 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>>Certainly OCO marched on, with IBM and the world the poorer for it.
>
>I used to believe that until the memory of the number of usermods caused great
>delays in upgrades and the implementation of new function.
>
>I remember one ex-IBMer becoming an Operations Manager just about a year befor
>XA was announced.
>He managed to get full sign-off authority for usermods (new and existing).
>He drove the SYSPROGs and their manager nuts.
>He almost never gave approval.
>Exits, or nothing, he said.
>Due to non-disclosure, he couldn't exactly tell them why.

When my shop was converting from JES3 to JES2, there was a function we
wanted (priority change on NJE printout or job IIRC) that could only
be done inline.  I presented it to management and told them I could do
it if they really wanted it but it was a better idea to only do those
things that could be done in exits.  The function was dropped.

>When XA came out, and was easily implemented at the shop, he was thanked by
>all involved.
>
>OCO may be akin to swatting a fly with a buick; it did solve that problem.
>Plus it did move IBM closer to protecting its IP.
>
>-
>Too busy driving to stop for gas!

Clark Morris