On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:01:10 -0600, Ed Gould
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I vaguely remember a story here I cannot remember where I heard it
>(it may be an urban legend).
>*SUPPOSEDLY* the CIA (NSA??) was able to read a disk even after data
>has been written on it, even after 10 or 11 times.

Hi Ed,

I thought it interesting that you mentioned 11 times.

In a customer security standard document (that I cannot quote), that refers
to U.S. DoD standards, when overwriting at least 12 times is recommended.
One might infer that 11 times is considered insufficient.  It doesn't give the
reason.

Regards,
Mike Baldwin
Cartagena Software Ltd.