In a message dated 2/4/2008 9:32:48 A.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>I'm trying to read a dataset that will potentially have many volumes
each of which has up to 16 extents. I'm trying to open the dataset in a
way that I get one volume at a time, with the DEB reflecting the extents
of that volume.

I don't know how to open the data set in such a way, nor do I see why you
need to do so.  Suppose there are 16 volumes in the data set and each  volume
has 16 extents.  Your DCB has a DDNAME=WHATEVER.  Your DD  statement for
WHATEVER points to the data set name.  You OPEN the  DCB.  Your DEB that will
be
constructed has 256 extent entries in it, with  the first 16 pointing to the
UCB
for the first of the 16 volumes, the second set  of 16 extent entries in the
DEB all point to the UCB for the second of the 16  volumes, etc.  You use EXCP
to read this file.  You construct your own  MBBCCHHR in the IOB before doing
the EXCP.  You can put any value you want  into the M byte.  If you put a value
between X'00' and X'0F' you will  use one of the first 16 extent entries in
the DEB and thus access volume  1.  Etc.  Whenever you want to go from
volume(n)
to volume(N+1) you  will need a new M value, as also you will if you move
from extent(x) to  extent(x+1) within the same volume.

>What you're talking about sounds like BDAM where you get a single
logical view of a multivolume dataset?

The access method is irrelevant.  You will get the same kind of  multi-extent
DEB whether you use EXCP, XDAP, BDAM, BSAM , QSAM, BISAM, QISAM, or  BPAM.

>I'm wanting to do EXCP access and my understanding is that when you  do
this you get a "simple" DCB which is "connected" to one volume at a time
and for which the DEB just reflects however many extents are on that
volume. Certainly this is what I see, and this is how I'm performing my  I/O.

I don't know where you "see" this, because this is not what you get.   You
get a "simple" DCB, whatever that means, that is connected to (points to) a
single "complex" DEB (I just made up the descriptor "complex") that points to
ALL the extents in the file regardless of the volume involved.  Create a
multi-volume file, OPEN a "simple" DCB to it, ABEND, and study the construction
 of
the DEB, not the DCB.

Bill  Fairchild
Rocket Software