Mark,

There were lots of good answers to your question. I'll add MXI to the
list of tools.

But for my money, Kees reply was not only the first; it is the easiest
for one volume. What I did not like, however, is that the error message
text of CBR1064I that accompanies the D SMS command does not indicate
that it is also valid for a non-SMS *DASD* volume.

D SMS,VOL(XCB1AB)

 CBR1064I Command rejected.  Volume serial number XCB1AB undefined.

>From QuickRef:

CBR1064I Command rejected. Volume serial number volser undefined.

 Explanation:  The operator entered a command that requires the

 specification of a volume serial number.

 For commands affecting optical volumes, the volume serial number volser
is

 either not defined in the optical configuration data base, or the
optical

 configuration data base contains invalid fields in the row for the

 specified volume serial number. This message is preceded by a message
or

 messages that contains information about the nature of the invalid
fields

 in the optical configuration data base for the volume serial number.

 For commands that affect tape volumes, either the volume serial number

 volser is not defined in the tape configuration database, or the volume

 serial number is defined in the tape configuration database but is for

 volume that is not supported by the level of OAM software on this
system

 (volume record contains uplevel tape device selection information). The

 possibility also exists that the volume serial number that is specified
is

 defined in the tape configuration database. However, a save control
data

 set was activated that does not contain any tape library definitions.

 System Action:  The command is rejected.

 Operator Response:  Determine the cause of the error, then enter a
command

 with a valid volume serial number.

 If the request failed because the volume is not supported on this OAM

 software level, reissue the command on a system where it is supported.

 Source: Object Access Method (OAM)

 Routing Code: 2

 Descriptor Code: 5

Robert B. Richards    (Bob)