From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of John Mattson
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:42 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Is IBM/Tivoli turning into CA?

        I am having a fascinating adventure going to zOS 1.8 courtesy of
IBM/Tivoli/Candle/Omegamon.  I received and applied the products along
with my Serverpac.  Then I go to install what Tivoli calls V4.1, but is
550 as far as Omegamon II MVS is concerned.  I go to look at the manuals
at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v15r1/index.jsp?topic=
/com.ibm.omegamon_xezos.doc/welcome.htm

        And I discover the following:
Configuration and Customization Guide
OMEGAMON II(r) for MVS
Version 520
GC32-9277-00
December 2001
        I call up the nice Mr Kelly at IBM support and he informs me
that IBM believes that the almost SEVEN year old manual from TWO
releases back is adequate, and that there IS NO Config & Cuss manual for
550.  So I give it the old college try, and find that it is like trying
to install ZOS
with an XA manual.   The manual references other manuals which do not
exist or exist only on CD's.  It references other OM products which
either do not exist or have entirely new names.  It references datasets
which do not exist or have new names.
        Is IBM turning into a company which buys up good software and
turns it into junk?   I advise you all to plan lots of extra time if you

undertake to do this upgrade.

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html