-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Timothy Sipples
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:17 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Person-Months for Version-to-Version Migrations?

The discussion here about "how many z/OS system programmers?" is really
interesting to me, and I'd like to ask a related question to expand the
discussion a bit more. What are your current experiences in terms of the
number of person-months it's taking for version-to-version (v2v)
upgrades?
Here's a sample template for how you might frame your answer since there
are lots of factors that could influence the person-months:

1.  Start date of v2v project?
2.  First in-production date?
3.  Final in-production date?
4.  Estimated total person-months?
       a. Internally supplied:
       b. From outside service providers:
5.  From what to what?
       a. Operating systems:
       b. Middleware (CICS, DB2, IMS TM, etc.):
       c. Tools/utilities:
       d. Hardware:
6.  How many LPARs? (Any logical consolidation?)
7.  How many machines? (Any physical consolidation?)
8.  How many (logical) Parallel Sysplexes (e.g. two 3-way Sysplexes)?
9.  Any other quantifications (e.g. lines of code, function points,
    number of programs, number of CICS regions, database sizes/number,
    etc.)?
10. How many (planned) outage(s)? How long?
11. What other impact(s), if any, were there to business users during
the
    migration (e.g. performance issue, unplanned outage, function loss,
    new function, data loss, etc.)?
12. Testing method(s)/person-months?
13. Other comments? (Examples: What were the most difficult issues? What
    took the most time? Any unusual factors, such as relocating the data
    center? Did you use an Early Support Program?)

You may not know the answers to all that, so your best guess is fine and
much appreciated. Private e-mail is OK if you prefer.

I'm asking because my guess is that the Japanese experience in these
areas
is quite different from most of the rest of the world, probably because
of
different IT practices here.  But that's just a guess, so it would be
interesting to hear what IBM-MAINer experiences are around the world in
the 21st century.

The "from what to what?" question might be very different also.  In
Japan
the "big hop/all-at-once" method seems popular, while I tend to think in
the rest of the world the "ongoing rolling wave" technique is at least
more popular. So your answer might be z/OS 1.6 to 1.8 for one migration,
then followed by CICS TS 2.3 to 3.2 for another migration, then
z990/z890
to z9, etc., each as separate v2v projects.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]