On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:26:28 -0600, McKown, John
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We did a DR last week (and I immediately go sick the day after ---
>coincidence? You decide!). Anyway, one problem that we had was that we
>could only get 8 of the 16 ATL drives to become allocated. Note that all
>16 drives would successfully come on line! It is just that when drives
>0-7 were allocated, with drives 8-16 being unallocated and online, a job
>which needed the 9th drive would wait with the message:
>
>IEF289E JOBNAME STEPNAME WAITING FOR VOLUME(S) OR UNIT(S)

Hi John,

I hope you are feeling better after your recovery.
Here are a few more ideas.
It's a good idea to understand how many CU's are really there.  I think it's
common to connect only 4 (real) IBM drives to a CU.

Did you happen to enter library status commands such as:
LI DD,libname
CBR1220I Tape drive status:

D SMS,LIBRARY(libname),DETAIL
CBR1110I OAM library status:

I know you set everything up correctly, but I would still issue those commands
to see that the drives are not just online but are also SMS-managed.

Did you RTFM? (!)

IEF289E
Operator Response: Should this message persist, contact IBM Support for
direction in obtaining a Symptom Record for information about the volume(s)
or unit(s) for which the step is waiting.

Regards,
Mike Baldwin
Cartagena Software Ltd.
www.cartagena.com