On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 06:50:22 -0800 (PST), in bit.listserv.ibm-main (Message-ID:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Rexx, so please give helpful advice and not "Aren't
you stupid" responses.

1. REXX questions will likely get a better response on the REXX list. For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

2. Whether using this list or the REXX list, you'll get a better response if you subscribe to and send via the Listserv (see details at the bottom of this post). MANY people read via the listserv, and won't see your post.

I've had a couple of instances now where I want to be able to use a command/function which I know may fail, but prevent the Rexx from failing. I've scoured documentation and can only find the SIGNAL statement & OUTTRAP function, neither of which seem to work, unless
I've missed the point.

Surprisingly (especially to newcomers) you may have to use SIGNAL ON SYNTAX rather than ON ERROR for many errors. I have not checked whether that is so for the below; I strongly expect it is for your latter example. You haven't said what SIGNAL statements you tried. OUTTRAP is *not* what you want for this.

Here's the rest of your original post for those who read the Listserv:

Here are two examples:-

1.    ISPEXEC "BROWSE "DSN
This fails when you try browsing an empty dataset (even though the documentation I've read says it responds with RC 12). I've ended up doing a LISTDSI and checking SYSUSED > 0 to prevent this problem - but I would still like to TRAP an error rather than pre-empting one.

2.    valDate = DATE('E',StartDate,'E')
I want to validate a user-supplied date is in the correct format
without the rexx failing if it's invalid.

In this latter case there are a few suggestions in the thread
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/bit.listserv.ibm-main/browse_thread/thread/8882f674b0380a99/ecbae95979efa2c7?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=rexx+DATE+trap+OR+SIGNAL+OR+OUTTRAP#ecbae95979efa2c7
but they mainly involve reinventing the wheel instead of using the
standard, flexible & powerful DATE builtin.

Any suggestions appreciated,

Regards,
Clark.

--
I cannot receive mail at the address this was sent from.
To reply directly, send to ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com